Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Power of TED

One of my favorite things about social media is how easy it is to share and receive great information. Not a day goes by that I don’t get at least one message from a friend, colleague or complete stranger on twitter that either educates me on a topic of interest or inspires me in some way.

A year ago, a friend of mine tweeted the link to a John Wooden speech at the 2001 TED conference on the difference between winning and success. The speech was simple and powerful (as all John Wooden speeches and quotes are) and after watching I discovered the website that was storing the speech- ted.com. I’ve visited ted.com hundreds of times since then and have enjoyed watching inspirational video after inspirational video.

TED’s mission statement captures its essence:

“We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we’re building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world’s most inspired thinkers and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other.”

I use TED.com for personal inspiration and growth but I also utilize it frequently in my job. I love to show a thought-provoking ted talk during staff meetings. It gives us a chance to get out of “day-to-day” mode and do some personal reflection. It allows to staff to hear from someone much smarter than myself and it usually leads to some great discussions. I place a strong emphasis in the personal growth of my staff and ted.com has been one of my most valuable tools.

In the spirit of TEDs vision to share knowledge, here are ten of my favorite TED talks.


Dan Pink- Science of motivation. Intrinsic motivation- autonomy, mastery, purpose

Steve Jobs- Commencement speech on how to live before you die

Elizabeth Gilbert- Nurturing creativity

Seth Godin- Standing out

Randy Pausch- The Last Lecture

Malcolm Gladwell- Choice and happiness through spaghetti sauce

Barry Schwartz- Our loss of wisdom. Be an ordinary hero

JK Rowling- The fringe benefits of failure

Aimee Mullins: The opportunity of adversity

Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action


So if you find something that inspires you, share it with others or, at least, share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment