Thursday, June 3, 2010

One introvert’s guide to attending conventions

I’m an introvert. I’ve taken the Myers-Briggs personality type test over and over and no matter how hard I try, I always come out an introvert.

The off season in college athletics is fast approaching with many professionals around the country making plans to attend conventions and seminars. Over and over again, you will hear the most important thing about conventions and career advancement overall is networking. The old cliché “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” will be uttered over and over again. While it may not be true all the time, the relationships you create with your colleagues can make the difference in getting your next position.

I have something to admit. One of my kryptonite's is small talk. I struggle with meeting someone for the first time and conventions used to scare me to death. My colleagues would talk about the importance of networking and meeting as many people as possible. I’d watch my extrovert friends work their magic. I was nervous, overwhelmed and always felt inferior due to my inability to have as many casual conversations as my colleagues.

Recently, I stopped trying to emulate my extroverted friends and no longer try to work the room. It was uncomfortable for me and I wasn’t very good at it. I decided to embrace my inner introvert and began networking and attending conferences in a new way.

Here are three things I do:

1. Network through social media: I’m convinced that social media allows an introvert to explore his/her extrovertness. I’ve been amazed at how many meaningful relationships I have developed with my colleagues in college athletic administration through twitter and blogging. I’ve picked up the phone on more than one occasion and called a colleague who I follow on twitter. We joke about how we’ve never talked but we feel as though we know each other and we end up having great conversations. I now see these people at conventions and it’s very easy for me to say hello and we introduce one another to other co-workers and colleagues.

2. Enjoy the sessions. When the agenda for the NACDA/NACMA/NAADD/CABMA/CEFMA/NAAC convention is posted I begin to plan my week. I understand the importance of networking at conventions but I also attend to learn about trends in the industry and learn how some schools are innovating and attacking the challenges of the college sports. Every year, I try to leave with 3-5 takeaways that I can bring back to Utah to try and make us better. I pick the sessions that I will attend much like how I used to pick my classes in college- speaker over topic. I enjoy listening to the innovators in our industry and it gives me a chance to potentially develop a future relationship with them. After I return from the convention, I will email the speaker of each session I enjoyed thanking them for sharing their insight and ask any further questions I didn’t get a chance to ask during the session. More than a few times this approach has led to further discussions about other topics and a meaningful relationship with a colleague.

3. Get involved. Volunteer to help at the convention and/ or speak on a topic you are passionate about. This may be a stretch for some introverts but when you are working with someone on a project or talking about a topic you know inside out, it’s much easier to interact with people you are meeting for the first time. Make sure to collect the business cards of people you work with or attend your session and send them a thank you note after the convention.


I used to think that being an introvert would hinder my networking and potentially my career. I no longer feel that way. Now, I wear it as a badge of honor. I’d love to hear from other introverts (and extroverts) on the topic. Message me on twitter at @zacklassiter, email me at zlassiter@huntsman.utah.edu or post below.

1 comment:

  1. One of our basketball coaches helped organize a "tweet-up" at the Women's Final Four to get people already connected on Twitter together at a local bar during the week to meet up and talk. I thought that was a cool idea. Social media gives us a chance to connect with a lot of people we would never find otherwise. You could work a room all day and never meet the "right" people. Good post.

    ReplyDelete